Sunday 27 July 2014

The Friendly Games, William Blake, and me

That's what they call the Commonwealth Games. And friendly they do seem to be compared to the chest-thumping nationalistic nonsense that is the Olympics. Okay, so they'll still play national anthems to tell the world where the winners come from, hoist a flag too, but very few of either are recognisable. Even England's - though a setting to music of one of William Blake's finest works - must surely be virtually unknown outside the UK. I was very surprised when I heard it played at The Games and don't feel abashed to admit it, honestly expected that little waltzy number about gods, queens, and saving graciousness. Jerusalem has been sung at sporting events for years - notably the FA cup final - so I suppose its inclusion at The Games as the English national anthem does have some previous.

However, Blake - besides being a genius - was a contrary bugger, not averse to giving the establishment a well-deserved kick up the arse, and it is thought by some that this song - rather than a gloriously rousing celebration of all things English - is rather subversive. During his formative years, as the legend from which the poem derives its inspiration avers, did Jesus really step upon this land of ours? Gaze upon these green hills? Create a Heaven on Earth here? And if so, how come it's come to this? Wealthy land owners and industrialists - all supposedly devoutly Christian - subjugating and exploiting the population among the smoky fetid filth of the industrial revolution? So give me my weapons plus a dash of divine strength and let me fight tirelessly and relentlessly to free these poor fuckers from their sad and sorrowful lives. Then we'll again have Paradise on our doorstep. And not before time!

Others say that the poem's 'dark satanic mills', rather than industrial, are ecclesiastical, that Blake was having a go at the Church and its seemingly timeless ability to subdue, repress, while being, at its very core, rotten and corrupt. Run by Satan himself. I love that idea. If he (small aitch, not out of disrespect, but rather of disbelief) does indeed exist, there is no doubt that this is his domain, and that he has his hand in everything, including the church. And if he is as clever and conniving as the New Testament suggests, what better place for him to make his seat of power? Perfect.

Anyway. I digress. This was about games and anthems and concluding with a (some would say inevitable) tenuous link to something I once wrote. As usual. You know me so well! Okay. Let's get to it. I have a book going free at the moment. It's called 'Of angels, mice and men' and is available here:

'Of angels, mice and men' on Amazon

The first story from the compilation - Evie, destroyer of worlds - is my attempt to subvert Genesis for my own iniquitous ends, and touches on many of the issues that I believe Blake was toying with in his now most famous poem. That's if he ever toyed with anything. Go over to Amazon (link above) and read the intro. And, if you like it, download the whole collection for free! Do it before midnight on Tuesday, or it won't be free. Don't say I didn't warn you. 

Let me know what you think! Feedback is important, enables me to grow, develop as an artist (I don't really believe that, so ignore me if you like).

Have a great week!
Alexandra x




No comments:

Post a Comment