Thursday 24 July 2014

Giving myself away

If I said, 'Here, take me. Do what you want with me,' would you value me? Would you want more of me? Come back again for me? I know you would. And not just because I'm so good at it: whatever it is you took from me, I am - believe me - very good at it. But it isn't actually me I'm offering. It's a book I wrote. And it's not even a book I wrote. It's a collection of randomly-written short stories that had enough (barely) of a shared theme that I stitched them together into a sci-fi and paranormal patchwork  and merely called it a book. Are you still reading? Really? That didn't put you off? Good. Then we may be on the same wavelength.

The book is called 'Of angels, mice and men' and is a compilation of eight of my very finest and keenly wrought works. I am proud of every one. Each is worthy of a future feature film. I love the characters and hope you will love them too. They tug on my heart-strings, as though from another dimension, as though they really exist. Perhaps they do.



Someone recently criticised the name of it, said that it was too much like Steinbeck's classic, to which I replied, 'Of course it is, you moron (I didn't actually say moron), that's the point! The book contains mice, men, and angels, so I too stole Robbie Burns' famous line then added an apposite word of my own. Angels. Mice have well-laid plans that often go wrong, and men, rather similarly, have well-laid plans that often go wrong, but look! Look at this! Angels - yes fucking all-seeing, all-knowing angels - even they have plans that often go wrong, and the proof can be seen a couple of times herein. To whet your appetite, a brief synopsis of the included stories follows. The book will be free from tomorrow - 25th July - for five days. 

Metaphorically speaking:
I am naked. I am prostrate. I am open. I am quiveringly, beautifully vulnerable and heavily lasciviously lubricated. Please don't walk away. Take me. Take me and value what I am offering. I give you myself. Myself, in all my unadulterated glory. You will grow to love me, despite this rather unusual introduction. And I, in turn, may grow to love you too.

Of angels, mice and men
A dazzling compilation of paranormal and sci-fi erotica
Alexandra Amalova

The stories:

Evie, destroyer of worlds
In a locked and darkened room, a woman too beautiful to behold slakes the thirst of a multitude.

Room for rent
A mysterious circular tale of love and lust plays out in an old house with an empty room.

The Equinox of Thirteen
At the Equinox, a girl plagued by lucid dreams journeys through perpetual rain to change the world.

Sexangel
In a distant future civilisation, libido is surgically removed to be reborn as a separate entity - a tiny winged creature. Productivity rises and the procedures are initially deemed a great success.

Of snowdrops, mice and yew
After his divorce, Christian moves north to find his roots and, in the village of his father's birth, discovers an ancient church.

The angel of Lonely Farm
An old house, a new beginning and a powerful storm precipitate incredible life-changing events.

I pay the ferryman
The ferryman for Livia's final journey insists on the correct fare.

Automaton: the madness of King George
The eighteenth century's technological advances facilitated revolutions and executed kings, while simply driving others to insanity.

The ebook is free from tomorrow, Friday July 25th 2014, for five whole days on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment