Friday 27 June 2014

Zoothanasia: a poem using animal abuse as a metaphor for abusive human relationships!

I recently read how animals in captivity or in game reserves are routinely culled, and not for their welfare as is usually claimed, but for selfish human economic reasons. The word 'zoothanasia' has been coined for this behaviour. There are many tragic examples; a male black rhino called Ronnie who was past reproductive age and supposedly dangerous, was shot as big game by a Texan hunter for the princely sum of $350,000; a healthy young giraffe called Marius was cut up and fed to lions when he no longer fitted into the breeding programme of the zoo in which it lived.

I felt driven to write a poem about it, and was instantly impelled to construct it as an analogy, having seen a parallel between the treatment of such innocent creatures and the treatment of certain - often female - partners in abusive relationships. Unfortunately, Lush Stories rejected the finished poem, saying it was neither loving nor erotic enough for their taste. And that's fair enough. Anyway, here it is, for your eyes only.


Zoothanasia

Captured, raptured
Nurtured, cross the threshold
Into gleaming mad
Incarceration
Glaring lights
Hard cold delights
*
I'm fed on beds of straw
You roar, I'm raw meat
Eat and drink to
You, my keeper
Sleep another hour
Of Serengeti dawn
*
Vultures circle
Workers sweep the compound clean
Till you return
To tease with hypodermic darts
Impart, inject
A painful sleepless state
*
Stick out my neck
In calm and stately beauty
Fury chops it down
Dissects, inspects me
Feeds my flesh
With pride to hungry lions
*
Doe-eyed lust
Is dust, my unborn children
Thrust against the bars
And dragged away
I stay and face
The tasteless daily throng
*
In narrow cages
Pacing rages, burning, churning
Anger wages war
Against my mere existence
Economic nonsense
Innocence has long since
*
Gone, the purity
The trust you promised me
The outstretched hand that stroked
And stoked my loyalty
Now turns, a beast
To slash and burn
*
Horn, pale tusk
Red tooth and claw
Now toothless, clawless
Mute, dead, flawless
Gazing down with glassy eye
Both born to live till love must die
*

No comments:

Post a Comment